A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Nothing glorious about this morning

Last weekend I went out to brunch to celebrate one of my good friend's finish of the Philly marathon. In Philly, brunch is big...maybe not as big as New York, but there are some neighborhoods where you just for brunch. Not much else there but good brekkie food.

Morning Glory is not one of those places, at least not for vegans. The only vegan option on the menu was a tofu scramble, which looked deceptively good...


until I ate it. The tofu was bland, soft, watery--undercooked! Overall, it was completely lacking in spices, and they definitely were stingy with the vegetables. We all know that tofu is what you flavor it. It can be spicy, sweet, sour and, of course, bland if you don't season it enough. The best part of the meal was the grits, which isnt' saying much considering their bland reputation.

I'm usually pretty good about eating out. I don't drag all my friends to vegan restaurants (although I do always suggest it!) but rather manage to find something mildy interesting on the menu. Lately, though, I've been really frustrated with the vegan options. Please, give me more than salad, pasta and flavorless tofu.

To make up for this awful brunch experience last weekend, I decided to make my own tofu scramble for a few friends this weekend. I'd love to be able to post a picture, but we finished it all before I even had a chance to take out the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment