A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Brussel Sprouts Like to Live, Too?

Please read: Sorry, Vegans: Brussel Sprouts Like to Live, Too

Now, tell me what you think.

Sarcasm? Heartfelt ode to plants' struggles? Other side of the argument? Attempt to recover some of the moral ground surrounding ethical vegans' reasons for their lifestyle?

I honestly don't know enough about the language of ethical veganism to defend their viewpoint in relation to this article, but it still seems to me something is missing from the "ode to the vegetable" Ms. Angier puts forth. Something about animals' inclusion in the category "sentient being" (a technical Buddhist term very broadly used to define beings with consciousness) alongside humans appears to have been left out.

At the end of the day, veganism is a choice that each person makes for him or herself, just as meat-eating is. It's just about understanding each person's choices, learning from them and allowing them to be what they are. I no more want Ms. Angier to tell me to eat meat than she wants me to tell her not to eat meat.

Moving on now....

No comments:

Post a Comment