A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, January 18, 2010

Grass-fed meat with a side of moral superiority

For many people veganism is at one end of the spectrum of a diet transformation. They work their way from eating all meat, to only eating white meat, to only fish, then no meat but dairy and eggs, and finally no animal products. It can take a long time to get from one end to the other, if at all, but movement toward no animal products is a move in a positive direction.

My friend is slowly moving along that path. She realizes the impact of diet on her physical and mental health, so she's mixed more veg meals into her day. She goes with me to vegan restaurants. She supports my lifestyle, and I thank her for it.

The other day she sent me this article in Newsweek about some famous, veg-movement defining vegetarians, moving to the opposite, meat-eating end of the spectrum. They argue that locally raised animals that are allowed to live "happy" lives are okay to eat. The author of the article responds to their argument:

"While it's true that sustainably raised, grass-fed beef may be better for the consumer, it's hard to argue that it's ultimately better for the cow. What these steak apologists seem to be missing is that no matter how "lovingly" the cow was raised, no matter how much grazing or rooting he did in his life, he gave up that life to become their dinner. Carnivores who only ate the flesh of animals that had died of natural causes at the end of long, satisfying lives might have a claim to moral superiority, but what to call them? Corpsevores? And if these organic farm animals have such great lives, isn't the more humane thing to eat a cage-raised, industrially processed chicken? At least we'd be putting it out of its misery."

I like her response. I don't consider myself vegan for ethical reasons, but more for those of personal health. Antibiotic-laced, factory-farmed meat just isn't going into my body, and I refuse to give my money to support an industry that sells us contaminated, diseased food.

I'm hard pressed to make an argument against locally raised meat for those who do enjoy it, but I admire those who can see the argument purely from the viewpoint of the animal.

Irrespective of your opinion of animal rights, etc, it's hard to deny that eating a plant-based diet is just better for your body. It just feels better--less tired, more energetic, never sick--without animal products in it. At least, it does for me.

If the animal argument doesn't do it for you, then consider your health when making a decision to eat meat, either factory-farmed or locally raised. Be conscious of what you're eating and how it makes you feel. Be aware of how you are choosing to nourish your body and notice the effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment