A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, January 6, 2010


I just returned from a much-needed vacation to Playa del Carmen, Mexico. I was looking forward to sun, sand and of course lots of dancing and partying! I also was looking forward to lots of rice and beans, figuring that was going to be my best vegan option, with a little guac on top to round out my Mexican "dining" experience.


Little did I know that our hotel would be right next to a natural food restaurant called 100% Natural...tofu, seitain and all other kinds of vegetarian and vegan options filled the menu. Fresh fruit juices and other delicious items completed the meal.


To commemorate our last night in Playa, my friends and I had dinner at 100% Natural for the last time (several dinners later), and I ate a "Arroz-ote." Not quite sure if it's a modified version of an authentic Mexican dish, but it was freakin' good. Broccoli, spinach, tofu and brown rice all stir-fried in a soy-based sauce.



The best meal, though, which I unfortunately didn't take a picture of, was the seitan tacos. Three flour tortillas filled with perfectly spice seitan (kind of like a dry rub), with sauteed peppers and onions, sprouts, spinach, and a side of guac. It was so good that I think I'll be trying to recreate that one here at home...now how do I recreate that hot DJ we danced with at the club?

No comments:

Post a Comment