A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Vegan Bakery Heaven Finally Comes to Philly....

Yesterday was my mom's birthday, and I wanted to buy cupcakes to celebrate the occasion. I turned to Yelp to find out what was nearby, and--totally unexpectedly--a vegan bakery popped onto the screen! Sweet Freedom just opened two weeks ago right next to Govinda's at Broad and South.

I picked up vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting. The chocolate cupcakes were cocoa-y, the vanilla cupcakes slightly nutty, the frosting was rich and not too sweet. Excellent cupcakes and so good that my non-vegan mom savored every bite.

When I picked up my cupcakes, the owner (brunette in the picture on the website), told me all about the brand new bakery and how she just got back from a trip to NYC to give Alicia Silverstone a sample of all Sweet Freedom's treats. I'm sure we can expect a comment on her blog, The Kind Life, soon.

Next time I'm going to try the Magic Bars, a coconut-chocolate concoction, and the chocolate-chip cookie sandwich. Reminds me of the menu at BabyCakes in the Lower East Side in NYC. Thank goodness we finally have our own vegan bakery started by some local gals (the blonde in the website photo looks strikingly similar to a woman who goes to my yoga studio...) here in downtown Philly!

1 comment:

  1. These cupcakes look yummy! I wonder if they're as good as the vegan cupcakes at Whole Foods?

    ReplyDelete