A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And the Best Veg in Reykjavik Is...

I just spent a long weekend in Reykjavik, Iceland. Surprisingly, not only was it not as cold as I thought it would be, but there was less snow on the ground than in Phillly!

Also, surprisingly, there were two excellent, casual vegetarian restaurants right downtown. Neither were purely vegan, but all the staff at both restaurants knew exactly which menu items to point out when I asked for meat-, dairy- and egg-free options.

The first restaurant was Á Næstu Grösum. I ordered at the counter from a buffet, mall-Chinese-food-style, of vegetarian dishes. Diners could order from the buffet and then sit down and eat in the spacious cafe, or to do takeaway. I ordered a combination of a mint-flavored, green-colored cous cous and a ratatouille to go. I really wanted a dessert, but unfortunately none of the options were vegan.


Not bad, but the second veg restaurant I found, Græn Kostur, was better, although the selection was much more limited.

I think it had to do with the trendy, thoughtful design of the restaurant (pitchers of water flavored with mint, fresh lemon and orange wedges lined a shelf under the chalkboard menu on the wall). Overall the experience was just much more appealing. The style of service was similar, but it felt much more honest in it's "counter style." The first restaurant almost seemed to be trying to be a "real" restaurant, while the second happily provided tasty, reasonably priced vegan options in a casual, upscale fast-food atmosphere.
Maybe it was the peanut sauce that got me? Maybe the vegan banana pie and chocolate-pecan dessert made me like it? Regardless, I ordered a rice, noodle and tofu with peanut sauce meal that was exactly what I was looking for. Chunks of eggplant rested in the peanut sauce and were tasty with a bite of brown rice.

Dinner:


Dessert (two of course!):

The inspirations were American, Asian, Indian and more...overall it just worked.

Both cafes offered fresh, flavorful veg options for the Reykjavik traveler seeking the same pleasure in food that traveling companions find in Icelandic meat delicacies. There is something for everyone in Iceland, and being a vegetarian won't spoil your dining pleasure. So eat, travel and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment