A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thoreau Restaurant Was--

So good! I absolutely loved it! I dragged my poor friends out in the snow last nigh to try this new spot, and I am so happy that I did.

We started with the Green Curry Mango Summer Rolls, which were rice paper wrappers filled with carrots and parsnips, flavored just enough but not overpowered by a dipping sauce drizzled on the plate.

For dinner, I ordered the Blue Plate, which was overall very good, although the edamame and corn succotash that lined the bottom of the plate under the blue mashed potato and glazed mushrooms looked surprisingly like the frozen variety I buy at Trader Joe's. Regardless, the mushrooms were sweet, and the potatoes were slightly salty, which encouraged me to mix a bit of both every time I took a bite.

My friend ordered the Shepherd's Pie, which was actually more of a soup topped with white mashed potatoes. Beneath the potato was couscous, a mix of large chunks of vegetables, and a green sauce. The Tamarind Peanut Noodles rounded out our collection of entrees, and they were excellent, too. A lot of flavors, a lot of vegetables, and all very nicely put together.

I loved the use of vegetables in a variety of different ways: pureed, cut into large chunks (my favorite!), roasted and mashed, grilled and seasoned. Almost everything on the menu could be made vegan if it wasn't already. Even the ancho chile butter served with the bread at the beginning of dinner came in a vegan variety!

It was so delicious that I ate so much I had no room for dessert. There was one vegan dessert on the menu that I remember looked good, but, in my food coma, I just couldn't bring myself to order it nor, apparently, remember what it was.

Five stars for this new addition to the Philly gourmet veg scene. It is of the quality of Horizons but a bit different in terms of flavors, ingredients and approach to vegan food. I'm happy to have two great restaurants to choose from when I want to go out to a good dinner, and I will definitely be going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment