A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Koo-Zee-Doo's Veg Option #2

I had been looking forward to going to Koo-Zee-Doo, this new Portuguese BYO in NoLibs, for weeks. I was very excited to try their vegan option (only in NoLibs would a Portuguese restaurant have a vegan entree).

I called ahead to make sure that the Milho Frito, a combo of fried corn porridge, fennel, fava and green beans, was totally vegan. The woman on the phone confirmed.

Now even more looking forward to this dinner with friends over a few glasses of vinho do porto, the sweet wine produced only in Portugal, I couldn't wait to start eating:

(Me, my friend Ralph and the porto!)

Look at that excitement on my face! Well, unfortunately I was a little disappointed. When I ordered the Milho Frito, the waiter said, "Oh yea, I knew you were coming, but we actually just sold the last one." Really?! Sold the last one? Probably to a table of non-vegans, no doubt, who thought it sounded tasty, which I guess I can't argue with because it sure did sound good.

Instead, the chef made me a special dish, which was delicious but unfortunately not quite as unique as I had expected. It just didn't taste as "Portuguese" as I had hoped. The fried porridge would have been so delicious, but instead I had a meal of sauteed ramps, asparagus potatoes and leeks--very tasty but not quite what I wanted.


The chef was accommodating enough to also serve up a vegan appetizer, also not on the menu, to make up for the misunderstanding. He sent out an absolutely delicious chickpea cake with broccolini and and an olive tapenade.

We also started with Salada de Cores, which included romaine, asparagus tips, large fava beans and white beans, thin baby carrots and beets, all drenched in a sweet but light dressing. This salad was an excellent start to the meal.

Even though I was disappointed, I will definitely go back. I always appreciate a chef who is willing to experiment in the kitchen and consider special requests. Veg option #2 was actually very, very good, just not what I had hoped to eat that night. Delicious, but not as memorable as I would expect the Milho Frito to be.

And who doesn't like a BYO? Plus vegan options, plus beautiful plates (see the white and blue pattern above), an intimate setting and excellent service.

No comments:

Post a Comment