A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cook This

I copied this straight from my February 2010 Veg Newsletter. I couldn't resist! It looked so good that I had to share.

Moroccan Simmer

This incredible one-pot meal is sure to brighten the dreariest of February days, and leave you feeling not only nourished, but fabulous. Slightly sweet, slightly spicy, this recipe by VN contributor Patti Breitman knocks our socks off every time we make it. Added bonus? It boasts more than 300 milligrams of calcium per serving!

What You Need:
1 teaspoon canola oil
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1-3/4 cups orange juice (preferably calcium-fortified)
6 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
8 parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
1/4 cup raisins
Pinch of cayenne pepper

What You Do:
In a large nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and cumin; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add orange juice, carrots, parsnips, figs, raisins, and cayenne. Simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes, and serve with rice or couscous.

No comments:

Post a Comment