A Vegan Lifestyle Blog



Growing up my dad called me "Gina Beana Fagiolena," or "little bean" in Italian. He never could have guessed that I'd become a vegan, but the nickname suits me more now than ever. Read on to learn about all things vegan: fashion, books, food and more.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday Brunch in Yo' Own Kitchen

I made these waffles today for my non-vegan family for brunch today and--surprise!--everyone loved them. Actually, how about "no surprise"?! Vegan food is not only good tasting food but it is actually real food (note sarcasm). I'm getting a bit bitter about constantly explaining my choice to everyone who happens to be around when I'm eating a meal. "Why are you vegan, and how do you get enough protein?" have become tired, tired questions. I'm happy to share my reasons and share information on what I believe is a healthier lifestyle, so I should be happy that people ask.

But lately, I'm just tired! You don't hear me asking everyone, "so how did you choose to eat meat?" Probably because they never chose, they just did without thinking. Maybe it was how they're raised, and that's that.

I have been feeling on the defensive lately, perhaps because the question has been coming frequently. In some circles, vegetarianism is still a hippie thing, not a part of the mainstream. I could use a little break from all the scrutiny and, instead, a little open-mindedness and easy, quick acceptance.

Enough negativity! Make these waffles. I did, and they certainly put me in a good mood...

Barley Waffles
Makes 4 6-inch waffles
2 cups barley flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2cups soy- or rice milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 vegetable oil spray
1 fruit preserves or maple syrup, for topping

Preheat waffle iron. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, stir together non-dairy milk, syrup, vinegar, and oil. Combine the two mixtures and stir to mix. Lightly coat the waffle iron with vegetable oil spray, then pour in some of the batter and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with fruit preserves or syrup.

Source: Foods That Fight Pain by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment